Leader of The Platform of Truth Mr. Hochoy Charles is back in the political race. The TPT will be contesting the THA elections come January 21 with a full slate of candidates.
The political party is also a combined effort with the group Unite for Change and other members of the religious fraternity. Charles explained that it was almost by "divine intervention that the full slate of candidates were formed". He further indicated that "TPT is the only relevant party in the upcoming THA elections."
Unite for Change is a group of persons and pastors praying in an effort to call upon all of Tobago to unite to make a change to give Tobago a change. He told a gathering of churches in November "this island of Tobago is facing its darkest hour and we want Godly men and women to take care of its affairs. If men and women are good the institution or government that they run cannot be bad and conversely, if men and women are bad or evil the institution that thee govern cannot be good. Therefore if the churches give us 12 godly men and women for the upcoming elections where ever they are placed will be good because we will not have corruption, we will not have discrimination nor victimisation".
He later realised that Unite for Change and the TPT wanted the same thing; Godly men and women to unite together for change as leaders who would see their role as a calling rather than an opportunity to amass wealth and to oppress people. He stated that "Politicians continue to lie and set a bad example for the children, how could you say something to day and then say today that's not what you said yesterday? The country cannot be run on this lack of integrity," Charles said.
Charles indicated that the reasons for voting the TPT were quite simple
• The Tobago election is about Tobago being able to manage its day to day affairs without direct intervention from Trinidad who are interested in extraction the oil and gas from Tobago waters
• Both Trinidad based parties brought the 'ongoing fight' to Tobago
He is confident to beat both the TOP and the PNM because of the relevant nature of the TPT representing Tobago's interest. He stated that "Tobagonians should vote TPT to remove themselves from being enslaved, controlled and colonised," Charles said.
If elected into government the TPT intends to:
• make its first order of Business to meet with the Government of Trinidad and Tobago to discuss Tobago's self governance of power. He admonished that "if the Government fails to settle on this matter the TPT will take the matter directly to the United Nations," Charles affirmed.
• Reorganise the democratic system of government to include a Legislature, a Judiciary and an Executive; the three houses MUST be separate
• Revamp and implement the 15 year development plan for Tobago that is already available
Responding on the Prime Ministers decision to lay the Constitutional Amendment Bill on January 7th with a debate on January 16, a few days before the THA elections the leader of the TPT described the PM's actions as "disrespectful and obscene". He stated that what the Prime Minister was doing was, "in the midst of an election she is putting he lives of our children in jeopardy." He went on to say that " Manning tried it before in 1992 and it was my intervention that caused the drama," Charles noted.